Total Views


Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Exploring Old Ruins

This piece started out as an experiment in technique. I knew I wanted to do some kind of "Look we stumbled upon a new discovery", piece, so that's what I set out to do, but as always I like to try out new and interesting ways to start the drawing and spark some happy accidents along the way. I did some random blotchy shapes to get an initial composition going, then I started to paint using a textured blocky brush as my smudge tool (photoshop cs6) It yielded interesting results, so I pushed further from there. Once I got to a certain place, I then switched to my own brushes and pushed forward. I was loosely drawing inspiration from the Ridley Scott film, Prometheus, but mostly from an article I read about a cave that was discovered recently in VietNam, called Son Doong. Supposedly the biggest discovery of it's kind yet. You can read about it Here. I titled the piece novo inventus, which means new discovery, find or invention in Latin. The only thing I did not think of, was were and when this is taking place. I'll leave that up to the viewer:) Thanks for stopping by, Enjoy!!! novO-inventus

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am an Art Director/ freelance illustrator working in the Movie, Comics and Gameing industries. I have also provided graphics for advertisement companies and clothing companies. I am Currently working as Lead Artist for Soul Interface Studios (SIS) and always willing to discuss exciting new opportunities.