Total Views


Thursday, January 24, 2013

BlueSky Studios Robots

From Wikipedia: Robots is a 2005 American computer animated comic science fiction film produced by Blue Sky Studios for Twentieth Century Fox, and was released theatrically on March 11, 2005. The story was created by Chris Wedge and William Joyce, a children's book author/illustrator. The two were trying to create a film version of Joyce's book Santa Calls but instead they came up with a movie about robots. Joyce served as producer and production designer for the film. It features the voices of Ewan McGregor, Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear, Mel Brooks, Amanda Bynes, Drew Carey and Robin Williams. Here are some thumbnail compositions I did from screen grabs of the film. trying to focus mostly on color, mood and composition with these studies. I just love this movie, it's one of my favorite. The guys at Bluesky studios did an awesome job. I highly recommend the Art Of Robots book as well. Theses thumbnails are done at a smaller scale then what is posted here, but I increased the size so they are easier to view. A bit about my process: To block these in quickly I usually start off with a gradient for the background, then keeping everything on separate layers, I block in the simple forms with either shapes or the lasso and line tools (concentrating on the basic shapes that make up all of the elements in the composition). I then start to render those shapes with the proper lighting according to my reference picture. The come the details. It seems to come together very quickly when I do it this way:) I try to keep each study between 1 to 2 hours. I feel this exercise has helped me get a better handle on composition, color theory and design. If you have as many movies as I do, then you have an endless amount of reference pics, so no excuses, study from the pros, get painting and get better:) Thanks for stopping by, Enjoy!!! Robots_Thumbnails_1_23_12

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am an Art Director/ freelance illustrator working in the Movie, Comics and Gameing industries. I have also provided graphics for advertisement companies and clothing companies. I am Currently working as Lead Artist for Soul Interface Studios (SIS) and always willing to discuss exciting new opportunities.