Total Views


Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tony Montana-Process Tutorial

Al Pacino is one of my favorite actors, I have been wanting to do a caricature of him for awhile now.  I went with a Scarface because it is one of my favorite roles he has played and I figured with the new enhanced Scarface bluray  that is out now, it would be fun to do.  I have alot of Pacino pen doodles floating around my sketchbooks. Here is one of Tony Montana.

TonyMontana

This is a picture of a collector toy my wife got me for my birthday a few years back. I guess I'm kind of a fan:)

scarface_pr

And a picture of my subject, Al Pacino in character as Tony Montana, "your never gonna see another bad guy like me, let me tell you."

medium_tony_montana2

This a quick breakdown of my process along with the process shots. I did this all in photoshop. First I start with a loose sketch and blocking in tones.

Scarface_wip

Next I make a new layer and fill it with a medium grey to tone the canvas. I lower the opacity so that my original sketch shows through, and on a new layer I proceed to clean up the sketch adding details to the face and background, all in greyscale.

Scarface_002

more of the same, getting the tonal values right and trying to keep all the attention on his face, which I want to be the main focus of the piece.

Scarface_003

Now I start to think about color, so I glaze the canvas with a brown and contrasting blue hue.

Scarface_004

Here I continue to make adjustments and add colors, separating the character from the scenery. I also continue to refine the drawing along the way, which has still remained pretty loose.

Scarface_005

Scarface_wip_close_up

All that is left is the details and finally the textures, and what would a Scarface caricature be without all of the cocaine.


Scarface_final


I hope you enjoyed reading my process as much as I enjoyed Painting it and that you may have learned something that will benefit and motivate you in your own creations.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am an Art Director/ freelance illustrator working in the Movie, Comics and Gameing industries. I have also provided graphics for advertisement companies and clothing companies. I am Currently working as Lead Artist for Soul Interface Studios (SIS) and always willing to discuss exciting new opportunities.